Tuesday, February 12, 2008

80's movies

The other day I decided to watch Pretty In Pink. It's been YEARS since I've watched it. I use to LOVE this movie, the music, the actors but NOT her prom dress. EWWW what where they thinking???

Anyway, I watched it with my adult eyes and came away feeling very irritated. I no longer love Blaine (In the words of Ducky: "His names Blaine? That's a major appliance that's not a name") he was a jerk and I don't know why she would love him. When they go on there first day and he's telling her that they're going to a party and she 's like umm I don't think so and he says something about how they could hang out with her friends under a rock. Yeah...why didn't she tell him to jump off a cliff or something. THEN he makes her feel guilty for him being a total jerk. He's like, You didn't believe in me, well of course not moron, you didn't call her back and then you lied to her and told her you forgot you asked someone else to the prom. Umm I'm sorry but I wouldn't believe in you either. Oh oh oh and what kind of freakish universe would your dad ask you if your in love after your first date and then you tell him you think you are? I mean the movie still has redeeming qualities like the music, I love me my 80's music though I'm disappointed that they didn't actually have the good songs on the sound track. I love Annie Potts character and I LOVE the scene where Ducky slides into the record store and lip syncs/dances.

I don't really know why I'm talking about it on my blog, but I'm thinking about watching more 80's movies just to see if I feel the same way about them. I'm thinking of Some Kind of Wonderful, Sixteen Candles, Can't Buy Me Love, Breakfast Club. Can you think of any more?

8 comments:

Larry said...

I can think of a few.. But a slightly different genre.

Like Red Dawn for example.

Like the part where they peed in the radiator to get away from the Ruskies! WOLVERINES!!!!

Oh sure, Red Dawn was chessy (it was the 80's, DUH), but what was good about it was it didn't have any "I'm an ignorant girl who 'loves' (PUH-lease) a jerk when I really should 'love' the freak who 'loves' me (even though he's clearly gay, just look at how he dressed)". That fact alone makes Red Dawn better than all others.

The rest of the 80's needs to be buried under a mountain and nuked. Especially Molly Ringwald. Does anyone else find it convenient that shes goes from semi-dorky and love sick in PinP (or 16 candles or whatever, can't remember, don't care) to snobby up-town girl in (I want to throw up my) Breakfast Club?

Like I said, mountain, nuke... Problem solved.

Emily said...

Gotta love the 80's movies! They are never the same watching them today, but are always good for a laugh. You can't forget "Goonies."

Amy Thurston said...

Red Dawn makes me instantly depressed. But you are right on with Pretty in Pink. I watched it not too long ago also. I was thinking if I was her friend and loaned her my old prom dress and then she cut it up into something way groovy, I would be ticked!

sarastrasser said...

Not to mention that with her red hair and pale skin, pink is not her color. She should have done a grassy kind of green. I think you should skip the 80's and watch 10 things I hate about you.

abutler said...

I love 80's movies so much i refuse to rewatch them in fear I will too be disenchanted.

Vegas Family said...

I love the 80's movies. They are a little corny in this decade I have to say, but a great memory. At least 80's music is till fun for me to listen to at any decade.

ajesplin said...

I can't get that scene out of my head when they are at the prom, and Blaine approaches Andie, tilts his head to the side, eyes bugging out, and says in a robotic voice, "I love you." My heart just melts for that ugly jerk.

I watched Top Gun the other day, and I remember thinking it was so deep, and now it just seems corny. But I still love Sixteen Candles. I also love 10 Things I Hate About You--one of my favorite preteeny movies.

nurseday said...

I totally loved "some kind of wonderful" and "St Elmo's Fire" I have to say I loved Rob Lowe.. I know he was a perv, But I loved bad boys back then...