Tuesday, September 23, 2008

1994

In 1994, I HAPPILY (I was stupid...obviously) dropped out of college and moved to Las Vegas to live with Cathe, Lindsay and Stephen. Cathe was in the middle of divorcing what's his name and I need a life change. Those 9 months that I lived with Cathe is in the top 3 of my most favorite times of my life. For the first time I really got to know Cathe and it's been the best thing that could have ever happened to me. I love my sister! Anyway, during that time we would spend our evening drinking Diet Coke (yup I use to drink Diet coke, I switched to Dr. Pepper, had a short affair with Mountain Dew but was later converted to Diet Pepsi), playing cards and eating Red Vines.

Cathe introduced me to Red Vines during this time, I remember the first time she offered them to me and I was all thinking "Umm..I don't really like licorice but since this is a bonding moment I'm gonna eat some" but I found out that it wasn't licorice I didn't like, it was Twizlers I didn't like! It was great news. So anyway, every time I see Red Vines or eat Red Vines, it remind me of me, Cathe, cards and Diet Coke....sigh good memories... So, since I've been sort of feeling left out because I don't really have great advice or ideas, I thought I would share my most treasured treat that I only save when I'm not feeling well.

Take your diet drink of choice and a glass, or plastic cup...whatever you have around. I also recommend ice but that's just a personal preference. Now, normally I don't drink my pop out of a cup, I normally just drink out of the can/bottle/44oz foundtain cup but for this, it's better to have a cup and you'll see why.

I know this picture is slightly creepy looking but I'm REALLY not feeling well today. Anyway, you then take your red vine, chew off both ends and now you have a delicious straw, of course this is just my opinion you can take it or leave it but I recommend you take it or you'll regret for the rest of your life....or not...whatever.


aaah refreshing plus look how much chipper I look now that I'm drinking my dp with a red vine straw...it's like magic..flanking magic...

9 comments:

Markie23 said...

Since you brought this up you can answer a question that has been plaguing me for all of ten seconds. How long can you drink diet coke through a red vines straw before the licorice dissolves to the point that it begins leaking diet coke out the sides.
This is a brilliant idea for a science project!

ajesplin said...

Hmm. Sounds tasty. I love red vines, especially when they're soaked in Diet Coke. My parents would buy those giant buckets of red vines from Costco when we'd go on road trips or vacations. Sometimes they were hard, sometimes they were soft. Just the luck of the draw.

Landee said...

I'm loving the pictorial!!! I'm sad I didn't read this post before I headed off to WalShizz just now. I would have picked me up some Red Vines! I need to get some for my year's supply anyway.

PS A can of chili dumped over tortilla chips reminds me of the summer I lived with my sister. She was separated from (and later divorced) what's his name at the time.

Cristin said...

Mark, I'll will have to test and get back to you. I usually sneak bites here and there while tasting..In fact I went through 2 red vines during my photo shoot. BUT if you are using the red vine JUST as a straw and not also as a tasty treat they you are doing it wrong.

Jenny, I'm always disappointed when I happen to get a box with hard red vines...I've wondered about that...

Landee, thanks for reminding me that I need to make a costco run to get me a new case of red vines. I'm so dangerously low on them right now...no way to make it through the rest of the week let alone a year.

Vegas Family said...

I too had the pleasure of living with Cathe. She really is one of my favorite people and I am so glad to have her. She makes me laugh.
Funny because Cathe was with me back in 1989 when my diet coke addication begain and diet coke and red vines remind me of her.

Diet Coke and Red Vines is what I ate when ever I went on a diet. That is my healthy food. (Explains my never slender figure)

Memzy said...

Hooray for pictorials of Cristin!! Btw, you are a hawtie so more of those.

I am not a huge licorice fan. In fact, I favor Twizzlers over the real thing. So, if you gize buy a costco size bucket to share in Seattle you can factor me OUT of the equation of how many buckets to buy. Justsoyouknow.

sarastrasser said...

This was very freaky Friday because I too hated licorice (threw it up in the 2nd grade) until one day I ate costco red vines and now I like licorice but only the red vines. It is almost like we are cousins.

Amy Thurston said...

Yeah, Red Vines remind me of Pismo. They are the only straws I will use. We definitely need some of those for Seattle!

Erin Beck said...

Cristin, last time I did that I fell off my dinosaur!!