Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Thanks to Memzy

I have something to blog about! Thanks to Memzy, you get to hear about what we lived on while we were snowed in. I first would like to say that I think it was inspiration that I got a crazy idea the day before Thanksgiving to stock up BIG time on all our necesities , I only do this like 3 times a year and spend bucko bucks at Costco so I don't have to go again for several months. Leaving Costco the day before Thanksgiving, I was questioning my sanity but if I hadn't we would have been very hungry 'cause we pretty much lived off of what I bought that day. Inspiration!

Here's a list of staples:
Mac n Cheese..duh
spam...yup, you read that correctly, we actually have it in our food storage because a number of my family members love the stuff.
hot dogs...double duh
2 costco bag size of chicken nuggets...
case of soup and ginormous box of saltines
ginormous box of flavored oatmeal
costco size bag of pancake mix
2 large syrup containers
costco sizebacon
turkey bacon
5 dozen eggs..yeah we eat a lot of eggs around here...not me but everyone else
crate o' yogurt
2 meat lasagna, they come in 2 packs and they are AWESOME!
butter
cheese
canned veggies and fruit
ginormous costco size bag of burritos
bread
potatos
carrots
onions
spaghetti and spaghetti sauce
frozen biscuits from schwans because they ROCK
We also have quarter of a cow in our freezer, we go in once a year with our friends to buy a cow, pasture fed, hormone free.
Thankfully, I had just bought 2 ginormous size containers of peanut butter so I didn't have to worry once that we would run out...phew.

We had to go to the store twice for milk, caffeine and bread

Sadly, I only had a few days worth of Diet Pepsi and regular Pepsi so we had to tredge in the snow uphill both ways to get our fix but TOTALLY worth it, plus I also have a sucker...err I mean son who thought it would be cool to go until he did and then decided it wasn't that cool.

hmmm...I think that's it.

Sooo we pretty much ate exactly what we eat normally. I try to have 2 months worth of food that we normally eat along with our other long term food storage so at least my kids wouldn't starve if something worse would have happened. From now on, I'm gonna make sure we're better covered with Diet Pespi so there will be no risk of me going crazy from caffeine withdrawals 'cause that sucks.

12 comments:

Emily said...

looks like you had a processed food fest! And Spam? Fer realz? Good job keeping a good stock.

Sam, Shel & Co said...

We have a few cans of Spam in our food storage, but I haven't been brave enough to actually try to do anything with it yet.

I stocked up on Costco's canned beef a while back. Turns out it's pretty good. So, when I was there yesterday I was going to get more but it turns out they don't carry it anymore! Aargh! Back to stocking Spam....I suppose I could dice it small and sneak it the beans we'll be likely eating.

Annie said...

Diet Coke and tampons are must food storage items in my house. Ya know what I'm sayin'?

ManicMandee said...

That was a stroke of inspiration wasn't it? Except for the Spam part. I think it is perfectly acceptable to let yourself die if there is nothing else to eat but Spam.

Jenny ESP said...

I'm starving. I love that you didn't have to leave your house. That's like my dream day/week/month.

Jenny ESP said...

PS. soda expires (askmemzy), so don't buy too much at once.

Katie said...

I was hoping for a little more scavanging. Maybe a squirrel or two.

Markie23 said...

Thanks. It's always nice for us grasshoppers to know where the ants live. Now I know where to come during the hard times for some pasture fed, hormone free cow.... and spam.

Landee said...

So srsly, with the Spam. Do you cut it up and fry it? How do you prep that stuff to make it edible?

Inquiring minds need to know.

Sam, Shel & Co said...

::echoing Landee::

how the heck do you cook spam??? (other than "spam, spam, eggs, spam, eggs, bacon and spam")

Hot Pants said...

I have never had spam. I do have a good collection of canned turkey and chicken on hand though. We also have loads of dried beans and such. We could have melted snow for water and cooked them up. Or just sucked on them for a long time. Or just turned on the faucet and get water from it as well.

nurseday said...

Cris, I love how you put 'pasture fed, hormone free cow' in the same paragraph as spam and hotdogs...hehe..