Sunday, March 8, 2009

I didn't think about this when I took this job.

Almost 12 years I ago I quit working and became a stay-at-home....you know that nice cushy job where you can wear whatever you want, take care of mostly ungrateful kids who think your a maid, cook, problem answer-er, miracle worker and over all best job EVER. So, I knew that someday I'd go back to work and it wasn't until this week when I decided that now would be a good time, that I realized that I have not worked in 12 years....12 YEARS!!!! Do you know what that looks like on a resume and job application??? I do now.... I had to warn my friends that I had put their names down for references since I would die of shock if any of my bosses were still working at my former jobs. YIKES!!!! Luckily for me, the main needs of the job are: Must be 18(barely passed that one ...shut up!), pass a criminal history check (thankfully that bank robber job never came through for me) and a valid Oregon drivers license. ::crossing fingers I get it::....sigh....only feeling slightly pathetic...

9 comments:

ManicMandee said...

So what kinds of jobs are you applying for exactly? I seriously would have no problem working at a fast food restaurant myself.

Cristin said...

this job would be working in a group home for disabled adults. I think it would actually be fun.

Emily said...

I have to say, I'm kinda jealous. Us mom's are way underpaid and underappreciated. At least in the group home you would get some thanks!

Ps. I've missed you. Are you feeling better these days?

Jenny ESP said...

I'll be there one day and I feel a bit nervous about my long job hiatus. Weird about your job prospect, cuz Sara recently said that she's gonna apply to work in a group home.

eekareek said...

I feel you. I have been trying to get a job at group homes as well. No luck so far but I am going to blame the economy instead my lack of work history. I am thinking about making up a job. Good luck.

Landee said...

Oh man, you just described my worst nightmare.... re-entering the work place. Keep us updated on how it's working out. I'm sure you'll have lots of good stories to tell.

Katie said...

I think you can put pleasing ungrateful people, on your resume. I think it will help.

Cathe said...

Cristin you would be AWESOME!! Your winning personality will make up for the slim resume. I remember being where you are, it's scary but once you start working you will realize how capable you are and your confidence will build from there..
i'll do one of my cheers for you!

Warriorcats said...

i cant beleive my mom was a FIREFIGHTER!!!!!! holy crap!!!!!!!!!! (btw hope ya get the job mum!)