Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Donna



I've been working up the courage to do this post. Not because I don't love Donna but because I do.


Donna Carter passed away February 24, 2011. Her funeral was February 28th, 2011.

I feel like anything I say beyond that is going to be completely inadequate. I love her, I'm sad shes gone, I'm sad that I won't hear her laugh again. I'm sad that she was young and she didn't get to do everything she wanted. I'm sad that my kids didn't know her better. I'm sad that she won't be bringing more beauty and art into this world. I'm sad that a mother had to say goodbye to her baby even if her baby, no mother should have to do that. BUT I'm so grateful that she was my sister even if she was forced by marriage. I'm grateful that I got to know her, even if it was more from afar. I'm grateful that MANY people knew her and loved her. I'm grateful that she wasn't alone. I'm grateful that her best friend was there for her when we weren't able to be. I'm grateful that she is no longer in pain. I'm grateful and will always remember her positive attitude even when things were at there worst. She was an amazing, beautiful, artistic, funny, good humored, loving, kind, free spirited woman who is missed greatly.

We weren't able to go to her funeral, I wanted to be there to support my mother-in-law Marge and Donnas best friend JoAnn aka Angel from Heaven, but I'm relieved to not have gone. Does that make me a bad person? Bad sister? I want to remember Donna the last time I saw her....smiling and laughing because that is Donna, even up to the end. She had fire, spirit, a positive attitude and a heart bigger than herself.

I love you Donna. Until we meet again....

10 comments:

Larry said...

She was a great person.

I'm very thankful for JoAnn being there for Donna.

Memzy said...

Experience taught me there's no wrong way to do it.

Thoughts and prayers.

Sara M. Carter said...

i never really knew Donna. all i really knew was that she was one of my Dad's many sisters, she is my aunt, and that she had cancer. i remember last year asking my teacher if i should shave my head for Donna, but i never did. i kind wish i did now, even if i would have looked horrible. when i heard that Donna died, it was like another thing on my huge mountain of stress. but with Donna, its different. my heart clenches every
time i hear her name. my heart actually skipped a beat when i saw this post. I'll miss you Donna.

Jenny ESP said...

I am so sorry you lost your SIL/sister! I couldn't imagine. I hope you feel better soon!

Lynn Cooper said...

Love you both and know that Donna is still with "good people" that love her.

Emily said...

What a perfect tribute to an incredible woman. So sorry for all of your family. Hugs.

lindsay said...

I'm so sorry Cristin. Hope you and your family is healing well. This post is very sweet.

Cathe said...

You said it all perfectly..She lived her life the way she needed to, and she would want you and Larry to live your life the way you need to...she'll understand that you weren't there..I love you...

Arae said...

I know I am a complete and utter stranger... But I ran across your blog by random. I read this and immediately felt sorrow. It was almost as if I could feel the happiness and joy Donna, your sister, brought to those around her.

If you do believe in God...keep this in mind. He wouldn't have taken her unless he needed her. He just needed one more good soul on his side !

janet h said...

i'm sorry to hear that, it's good though that you're writing down your thoughts of her here. i know it's not easy but hopefully the family's doing well. :) be strong!